Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.asio

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.asio
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 13:09:37 +0100

Hello Zack,

Zack Weinberg wrote:
> I thought I'd mention that I've started a new branch,
> net.venge.monotone.asio.  This is going to be an experiment in
> replacing netxx with libasio[1]

Very nice, I appreciate that effort.

> but right now the only thing I've done
> on it is bump the Boost version requirement to 1.35, which lets us get
> rid of the boost/ directory in the source tree (they finally
> incorporated the circular_buffer classes into the official
> distribution).  They don't seem to have broken anything we use going
> from 1.34 to 1.35.

Hm.. how about including the required boost headers in the monotone
sources? I know this is sort of opposed to the nvm.striped efforts, but
OTOH the boost headers are quite different from other libraries in that
they don't require a build harness nor dynamic linking to a library. And
AFAIK boost is rather relaxed WRT API stability.

It would allow packagers to drop the build dependency on boost. And
people building from source would appreciate one less dependency without
negative side effect. (Or does using the system's boost header files
give us anything?)

License-wise, including the BSD-like licensed headers in GPL code
shouldn't be much of an issue.

Am I missing something? Comments?

> [1] http://asio.sourceforge.net/  -- the version used will be the
> standalone one, not the one incorporated into boost. :-P

Same arguments apply here: doesn't it make sense to include the asio
headers in monotone source, instead of adding

Regards

Markus Wanner