Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.asio

From: Zack Weinberg
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] nvm.asio
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 19:28:04 -0800

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 4:09 AM, Markus Wanner <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hm.. how about including the required boost headers in the monotone
> sources? I know this is sort of opposed to the nvm.striped efforts, but
> OTOH the boost headers are quite different from other libraries in that
> they don't require a build harness nor dynamic linking to a library. And
> AFAIK boost is rather relaxed WRT API stability.

This has been proposed several times.  There are technical reasons
(having mostly to do with the complexity and abnormality of boost's
build system) why it has never been done, but I do not think they are
insurmountable.

However, I am not a fan of this idea, because it would mean that we
would have to incorporate part of boost's build system somehow.  We
just got done ripping out most of the bits of other libraries' build
systems that we had incorporated.  My main motivation for going after
netxx is not to solve the problems associated with netxx itself
(although those are present in my mind) but because it would let us
kill off the remaining stuff in the configure script and Makefile
that's there for someone else's code's benefit rather than our own.

Also, packagers, in general, *want* to carry build dependencies on
their already-packaged libraries rather than rely on bundled versions.

zw