monotone-users

Re: [Monotone-users] Getting the sourece code for the latest monotone?

From: Masatake YAMATO
Subject: Re: [Monotone-users] Getting the sourece code for the latest monotone?
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 18:24:41 +0900 (JST)

>> How can I get the sourece code for the latest monotone?
>> I''ve tried to get and I got some troubles. I'd like to
>> know this to developers.
>
> I'm very sorry that you had so much trouble. While code.monotone.ca's
> IDF instance already states that you can use mtn:// style URIs with the
> clone clone, this does only work from 0.99 onwards which is released
> this fall (i.e. in the next couple of weeks). Until then you have to
> pull and checkout manually (with 0.48):
>
>   $ mtn db init -d :monotone
>   $ mtn pull -d :monotone \
>      'mtn://code.monotone.ca/monotone?net.venge.monotone'
>   $ mtn co -d :monotone -r h:net.venge.monotone
>
> Sorry again for the inconvenience.

Thank you for replying. I've understood the situation.

My understanding is that to use the new clone notation, both
client and server sides must be updated. Correct?

The mtn server running at monotone project is already updated to the
newer version which supports new clone notation. But mtn servers
separately run by various organizations have not been updated yet.  So
there are situations that even one uses the newer version of monotone
client, one cannot do clone from the older mtn servers. If what I
wrote here is correct, the older command line you told me in the last
mail is very important; the command line in the only way for getting
contents regardless of any combinations of server versions and client
versions. Even if a command line become longer than single clone command line,
I would like to know more version independent way for getting contents.

I have tried the command line you told:

    $ mtn db init -d :monotone
    $ mtn pull -d :monotone
'mtn://code.monotone.ca/monotone?net.venge.monotone'
    mtn pull -d :monotone  'mtn://code.monotone.ca/monotone?net.venge.monotone'
    mtn: setting default server to
mtn://code.monotone.ca/monotone?net.venge.monotone
    mtn: setting default branch include pattern to 'net.venge.monotone'
    mtn: setting default branch exclude pattern to ''
    mtn: setting default include pattern for server
'mtn://code.monotone.ca/monotone?net.venge.monotone' to 'net.venge.monotone'
    mtn: setting default exclude pattern for server
'mtn://code.monotone.ca/monotone?net.venge.monotone' to ''
    mtn: doing anonymous pull; use -kKEYNAME if you need authentication
    mtn: connecting to mtn://code.monotone.ca/monotone?net.venge.monotone
    mtn: network error: service name resolution failed for: mtn

It doesn't work. I've used the original /etc/services(No mtn line).
I've retired after adding mtn line to my /etc/services:

    $ mtn pull -d :monotone
'mtn://code.monotone.ca/monotone?net.venge.monotone'
    mtn pull -d :monotone  'mtn://code.monotone.ca/monotone?net.venge.monotone'
    mtn pull -d :monotone  'mtn://code.monotone.ca/monotone?net.venge.monotone'
    mtn: doing anonymous pull; use -kKEYNAME if you need authentication
    mtn: connecting to mtn://code.monotone.ca/monotone?net.venge.monotone
    mtn: Received warning from usher: No server named
'monotone?net.venge.monotone'
    mtn: peer mtn://code.monotone.ca/monotone?net.venge.monotone IO terminated
connection in working state (error)
    mtn: error: I/O failure while talking to peer
mtn://code.monotone.ca/monotone?net.venge.monotone, disconnecting

With new /etc/sevices following works fine:

    $ mtn pull -d :monotone  'mtn://code.monotone.ca/monotone'
'net.venge.monotone'

BTW mtn clone 'mtn://code.monotone.ca/monotone' 'net.venge.monotone' works
fine, too.

Masatake YAMATO