monotone-users

Re: [Monotone-users] Getting the sourece code for the latest monotone?

From: Thomas Moschny
Subject: Re: [Monotone-users] Getting the sourece code for the latest monotone?
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 12:10:30 +0200

Am Thu, 07 Oct 2010 14:59:18 +0200
schrieb Thomas Keller <address@hidden>:

> > 'mtn pull' worked fine after adding
> >
> >     mtn        4691/tcp                # Monotone Network Protocol
> >     mtn        4691/udp                # Monotone Network Protocol
> >
> > to /etc/services. The lines for monotone were already there:
> >
> >     monotone        4691/tcp                # Monotone Network
> > Protocol monotone        4691/udp                # Monotone Network
> > Protocol
> >

> > Do you think this is bug of /etc/services?
> >
> > I don't think so. /etc/services is distributed so widely, I think
> > mtn command should lookup "monotone" service if "mtn" cannot be
> > found.
>
> Hrm... this is an interesting problem I never came across myself.
> Thomas Moschny is also Fedora user - Thomas, did you stumble across
> this one before?

No, and I didn't even know that monotone calls getservbyname(3). So
indeed we should (a) get that changed via IANA somehow and (b) try to
ask for the 'mtn' service first, and if that fails also for 'monotone'.

This is afaik not a Fedora issue. The entries in the /etc/services file
are not maintained by the respective package maintainers.

Best,
Thomas

--
Thomas Moschny  <address@hidden>