Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] new talks

From: Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio
Subject: Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] new talks
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 13:30:55 +0200

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Jiten Bhagat <address@hidden> wrote:
Giovanni,

The problem is that I always intended myExperiment as a sort of opensource-like community.
I can't explain you exactly why, but honestly, with that presentation, it gives me the feeling that it is not.
Please don't get mad at me, it's just my opinion :)

myExperiment IS an "open-source like community"...

I didn't say it is not.
But if you look at http://wiki.myexperiment.org/index.php/Presentations, you'll see that all the slides and files are in Microsoft Office's format.
I can't open any of these files properly, because I don't own a license of office, neither I am going to buy one to open these slides.

If you know the story behind the approval of the OOXML format, you'll know that many people don't consider that format as a standard, for many reasons. Moreover, it is not supported by many programs, and the powerpoint 2007 program itself doesn't implement correctly the specifications approved by the ISO institution.
In short I don't have any mean to open OOXML files.

The ppt slides looked ugly opened with openoffice. The texts were bigger, and maybe some of the animations don't work.
Maybe the presentation looks better with those animations, but my impression was that it was too full of texts and difficult to follow.

As long as you don't use open formats, you will keep having these kind of problems. I hope you are not going to do similar mistakes in myexperiment. You know, that talk really gave me the wrong feelings about this issue.

It was not intented to be a personal criticism, neither against myExperiment. I was just trying to express my opinion, since I thought it would have been useful for you to fix them and maybe attract more people to your project.
I apologized once in advance at the beginning of the mail, and two times after, one in a personal mail, but you just kept shouting at me.
I hope that it is not the way you use to answer to negative criticisms.

... the source code is publicly available here: http://rubyforge.org/scm/?group_id=3801, free for anyone to download, install, modify and so on.

Jits

Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio wrote:
Well, I don't want to be rude... but honestly, if I can give you my opinion, I've found that presentation a bit irritating :).

First of all, the slides are too much full of text. You should redistribute the contents in more slides, and maybe cut something. For example, in the first slides, the first two points are enought.

Second, please don't put that many 'windows vista like' screenshots.
I really hate them.
They gave me the feeling that myExperiment was just another 'just for cool windows-mac and java programmers' thing, so well, maybe we other OS users are weird people, but we exist anyway.

Moreover, your slides are only available in office 2003 and 2007 format. I don't own a license for any of these two programs.
Can you please upload an odt or pdf version, too?
And can you put on slideshare, also?