nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] vertical scroll arrows

From: Brand Huntsman
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] vertical scroll arrows
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 15:28:20 -0600

On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 14:04:43 +0100
Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> Oh, wow.  On the right side of the title bar they look nice.  I don't
> like to see them on the status bar: they ask too much attention,

They would also always be visible in the titlebar, the statusbar is hidden when
the prompt is open.

> This provides something similar to the "Top", "Bottom", "All", and a
> percentage that Vim and Emacs show in their status bar, but more
> limited.  Maybe nano should implement a similar indicator instead of
> this limited version?

Do they display those words? Arrows would take up less space and show when
scrolling can happen, unlike those words which show when scrolling can't
happen. A percentage would be nice, but that would take up even more space,
especially if put in the titlebar.

Another option would be to split the arrows between titlebar and statusbar. Up
arrow on right of titlebar, down arrow on right of statusbar. And percentage
could be on left side of statusbar. And maybe give them their own UI color. Or
maybe both arrows on right side of titlebar and percentage on right side of
statusbar.

100% would be when edittop->lineno == filebot->lineno - editwinrows, but
edittop can exceed that value when buffer is scrolled off the top of screen.
Should percentage show >100% at that point?

> So... should nano become more friendly and give feedback when the
> cursor cannot move any further in the desired direction?

Is there no case where nano beeps at top or bottom of buffer, because I thought
it did, but testing says otherwise. A beep might be nice, but perhaps put it
behind a toggle as it might annoy some.