nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] is it time to break free from the Pico defaults

From: Brand Huntsman
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] is it time to break free from the Pico defaults
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 22:46:21 -0700

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 21:36:56 -0600
David Ramsey <address@hidden> wrote:

> Brand Huntsman:
> > It isn't right to completely remove useful features to protect
> > non-power users.
>
> True, but if they can't be made to work *reliably*, I figure it
> becomes a case of "do it right, or don't do it at all."

Binding ^H has nothing to do with "do it right, or don't do it at all.".

Not all terminals support color, should it be removed from nano for
reliability? There are many other things in nano that depend on features of the
system or hardware to work properly, and not all features work everywhere. No
one would use nano if its feature set was limited to what worked reliably on
100% of systems.

And modifying the config of any program usually includes risks. Rebinding ^O
prevents saving a file. Rebinding ^X prevents exiting nano, unless you know
about F2. A simple typo by someone who knows exactly what they are doing can
cause this.

Someone who has a terminal capable of producing unique keycodes for control
keys should be able to bind them in nano. Just as someone with a terminal
capable of displaying color should be able to enable UI colors and syntax
highlighting.