Re: [Nmh-workers] masquerade settings & spost

From: Joel Uckelman
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] masquerade settings & spost
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 18:36:18 -0700

Thus spake Ken Hornstein:
> >> And while we're talking about post .... I always forget about it, but
> >> there's also spost.  It opens a pipe to sendmail -t and uses that to
> >> submit email.  It's not documented and there's a lot of duplicated
> >> code there.  I propose to just get rid of it (because, frankly, I
> >> don't want to have to hack on that code twice).  Objections?
> >
> >What would replace spost?
>
> Um ... nothing?
>
> spost has nothing to do with the sendmail MTS.  It's is completely seperate.
> The only way you'd use it is if you have a postproc configured in your
> .mh_profile, and it's missing some features that post has today.

I've had this in my .mh_profile almost since I started using nmh:

  postproc: /usr/libexec/nmh/spost

I must have had some reason for it once, but I can't recall what that
would have been now. If I don't have this, I presume post will be used
instead. It's not clear to me from the post man page what post will
actually do with the mail it's given. Will post simply do the same thing
that spost does these days?

--
J.