Re: [Nmh-workers] masquerade settings & spost

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] masquerade settings & spost
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 21:09:51 -0500

>I've had this in my .mh_profile almost since I started using nmh:
>
>  postproc: /usr/libexec/nmh/spost

Wow, how did you ever know to use it?

>I must have had some reason for it once, but I can't recall what that
>would have been now. If I don't have this, I presume post will be used
>instead. It's not clear to me from the post man page what post will
>actually do with the mail it's given. Will post simply do the same thing
>that spost does these days?

Not exactly.

_if_ you have the sendmail mts configured (see mts.conf) then what will
happen is sendmail gets invoked with the following flags:

        -bs -oem -om -ov

(The key one here is -bs).  That invokes sendmail in the "standalone"
SMTP mode and post then talks SMTP to it.  spost runs sendmail -t and
just outputs the draft message to it.

The big difference is you don't need a From: line when doing sendmail -t;
you need one when doing SMTP (either talking to a remote server or via
sendmail -bs).  It's not clear to me what the envelope from header is set
to when you're doing sendmail -bs.