Re: [Nmh-workers] masquerade settings & spost

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] masquerade settings & spost
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 01:17:58 -0500

>sorry. i was rambling. i'm only saying that it should be dropped,
>because, a) it's a pretty new feature, so there are probably people
>actively using it, and b) it's quite a useful feature -- on the fly
>modification (albeit limited) of the From: address, in a way that caters
>to the variable-recipient feature found in all major MTAs today. (i.e.,
>address@hidden or address@hidden)

(Note: Paul meant "shouldn't be dropped" ...)

While I think that's useful, I do wonder how many people use it.  Hm,
I guess it's really just a re-working of the old plussed_user option,
and it used to check the USERPLUS variable.  Looks like Dan Harkless
updated that code ... over a decade ago.  Okay, yeah, I guess that's
new by nmh standards :-)

> > Well, the plan is you would run all drafts through mh-format, and
> > you could do that with the existing format language today.  So how
> > about default component formats which got your From line from the
> > enviroment?
>
>oh, sure that would be fine. i didn't realize that was possible with
>mh-format. forget i said anything.

Yeah, there is an amazing amount of functionality in mh-format.  I
guess it would look something like:

From: %<(getenv MHFROM)%|%(localmbox)%>

(Or whatever ... I haven't decided what to call the format function that
gets the local mailbox yet).

>in any case, be sure and keep "cleanup" separate from "new features"
>in your own mind, since some of us kibitzing from the sidelines keep
>forgetting the distinction. :-) :-/

Sadly, it's all mashed up together :-/