Re: [Nmh-workers] Help!

From: norm
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Help!
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 08:47:57 -0700

Ralph Corderoy <address@hidden> writes:
>Hi Norm,
>
>> The Email you analyzied was not sent from the computer suffering the
>> bouncing problem.
>>
>> But this Email will be so sent.
>
>Do you have trouble following the Received headers, bottom to top?  :-)

>You passed it to Postfix on your localhost.  Postfix then passed it to
>mailwash26.pair.com in order to reach me.  pair added the top `received'
>header and said it was speaking to 198.144.207.170 but couldn't resolve
>that to a PTR record, therefore `unknown'.
>
>Sure enough,
>
>$ host 198.144.207.170
>Host 170.207.144.198.in-addr.arpa. not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>$
>
>That's from a block owned by Raw Bandwidth Communications.
>
>http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-198-144-192-0-1
>
>Not many of them have reverse PTRs.
>
>$ seq 1 254 |
>> while read a; do
>>     printf "%3d " $a
>>     dig +short @ns.tsoft.net. $a.207.144.198.in-addr.arpa ptr
>>     echo
>> done |
>>
>> awk 'NF > 1'
>1 sjbel-gw.rawbw.net.
>2 belsj-gw.rawbw.net.
>9 tsoftgw-providenet.tsoft.net.
>10 providenetgw.tsoft.net.
>29 tsoftgw-specfib.tsoft.net.
>30 specfibgw.tsoft.net.
>81 81.net80.207.144.198.in-addr.arpa.
>82 82.net80.207.144.198.in-addr.arpa.
>97 widewebgw.wideweb.com.
>98 server.wideweb.com.
>99 studio.wideweb.com.
>100 notebook.wideweb.com.
>101 studio2.wideweb.com.
>105 www.webskulker.com.
>106 www.excessmaterials.com.
>129 border1.wc1.specialtyfibres.com.
>130 airlock.specialtyfibres.com.
>133 cerberus-u.specialtyfibres.com.
>134 e3-core1.wc1.specialtyfibres.com.
>162 mail.aclunc.org.
>163 webmail.aclunc.org.
>$
>
>You need to ask your contacts "there" how to always have a PTR for your IP
>address, currently 198.144.207.170.

Are you saying that, the contact, address@hidden, mail to whom bounces, should
do something special?  He would have no more idea of what a PTR is than I do.

>  It's not a good idea to run a mail server from a machine

I don't do any such thing. I would not attempt it anymore than I would try to
climb mount Everest.

> without one these days which is why, once again, I'd have thought you should
> be using your ISPs smarthost to send mail to others on your behalf.

I don't know what a smarthost is. All I do. by way sending mail, is whatever the
nmh defaults are, except that .mh_profile has the line:

       postproc: /usr/local/nmh/lib/post

    Norman Shapiro