Re: [Nmh-workers] Help!

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Help!
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 17:10:51 +0100

Hi Norm,

> Are you saying that, the contact, address@hidden, mail to whom
> bounces, should do something special?  He would have no more idea of
> what a PTR is than I do.

No.  Who gives you your Internet connection?  They give you an IP
address from one of a block they have.  *They* have not set up *their*
DNS server to return a PTR record whenever anyone comes calling trying
to turn the IP address into a textual name.  Complain to them.

If you say the reason why you're complaining, that various mail servers
on the Internet at large are refusing to accept emails from you because
your IP address doesn't have a DNS PTR record, then they may say "Oh,
well, you shouldn't be sending it to them directly, you should hand it
over instead to this SMTP server we run on one of our machines as a
service to you, and then *we* send it on from there".  Any they may have
a point.  :-)