nuxeo-localizer

[Nuxeo-localizer] Re: Translation of QuickStart in Japanese

From: Juan David Ibáñez Palomar
Subject: [Nuxeo-localizer] Re: Translation of QuickStart in Japanese
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 15:23:04 +0200

Hi Kazuya,

I cc the message to the mailing list, as I think other people could
be interested.

First, thanks a lot for the japanese translation of the Quick Start,
I'll add it to the web site. I'll open the Localizer section too, so
you will be able to translate it directly. I'll tell you and the
mailing list when it's done.

See my answers to your questions below.

Kazuya FUKAMACHI wrote:

Dear Juan David,

Hello, I'm a Japanese translator & engineer, and managing small company.
I found Localizer is a cool product, and seems that I could use
this product for my own use and services.

So, I start to learn Localizer.
(already, subscribing [Nuxeo-localizer] mailing list,
but it's too advance for me, so far)

I translated your Quick Start Page.
(see attachement UTF-8 encoded),
as a part of my study. If you should provide me .po file or
something that you can easily port my toranslation into your
site, I will translate your Localizer site into japanese
and you can use it, for free.

It's my thanks for providing good product, Localizer, for free.

Nowadays, the number of Japanese Zope user is increasing,
and if you provide Japanese page, many people will be cheered up.

I think Zope is not necessarilly complete product for double
byte users, such as Japanese, but I love Zope and want to
prevail it to many Japanese. Especially, third party products.
Many products is made for only one language, English or sometimes
French or German. Many of the product can handle ISO-8895-1,
at best UTF-8. It's inconvenient for us. Many Japanese like
to use EUC-JP and Shift_JIS as a prefered charset.
If many product author use Localizer or something like that,
I can easily use it, just translating the messages. And in the long run, it will boost my buisiness.

I have a few question to ask you. Would you answer them?

Question:

1. Zope version
  Localizer/INSTALL.txt says it require "Zope 2.6 or later",
  but it seems it can work on Zope 2.5.1.
  Is it because of UTF-8 suppor of Zope?
  How far, does Localizer requires UTF-8 support of Zope?
  Should I upgrade to Zope 2.6 to use Localizer?
  Any limitation when I run it on Zope 2.5.1?

Zope 2.6 has some support for Unicode. Actually, it simply includes
the patch from Toby Dickenson. If you want to stay with Zope 2.5.1
you can just apply this patch.

Localizer 0.9.x depends on this support. Maybe it's not completely
broken with Zope 2.5.1, but you could experience some wrong behaviours.

2. To localize Localizer
  I would like to translate Localizer's message.
  Todo that, copy locale.pot to ja.po and put translation
  into msgstr. and Make. It that right?

Yes, and send it to me when it's done :-)

3. Characterset
  As for Localizer, character set for the page is derived
  from local/*.po file and seems no problem.

No, the character set of the management screens is explicitly specified
with the following two lines:

<dtml-call "RESPONSE.setHeader('Content-Type','text/html; charset=UTF-8')">

The encoding of the PO file has no influence.

  But messages in the  Localizer instance seems depend on
  what charset is used when I saved the message, rather than
  the Charset in the MessageCatalog's Properties tab.
  And default setting, the management page is UTF-8, so
  translated message should be UTF-8 as default.

The browser sends the data to the server in the encoding you're
using to view the page. By default Localizer sets it as UTF-8
(with the two DTML lines above).

You can load the page and then change the encoding. However, Localizer
expects the data to be in UTF-8, bad things could happen otherwise.

The charset specified in the Properties tab only is used to import/export
the message catalog from/to PO files.

  If I want the message to be EUC-JP, I should make
  Japanese po file for Localizer using EUC-JP charset.
  Is that right?

You can do the PO file in EUC-JP if you prefer, it won't change anything.
That's because the gettext module decodes it and returns Unicode strings,
doesn't matters which encoding you used. I think.

But the data stored in the ZODB will always be Unicode strings. Unless you
change it directly, with your own interfaces, instead of using the Localizer
management screens.

Regards,
david

Regards,
Kazuya
ATRANSIA, Ltd.  Kazuya Fukamachi
TEL: 03-5491-5156 FAX: 03-5491-5157
EMail: address@hidden
http://www.atransia.co.jp/

--
J. David Ibáñez, http://www.j-david.net
Software Engineer / Ingénieur Logiciel / Ingeniero de Software