nuxeo-localizer

Re: [Nuxeo-localizer] Re: Translation of QuickStart in Japanese

From: Juan David Ibáñez Palomar
Subject: Re: [Nuxeo-localizer] Re: Translation of QuickStart in Japanese
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 16:18:27 +0200

I'll add it to the web site. I'll open the Localizer section too, so
you will be able to translate it directly. I'll tell you and the
mailing list when it's done.

Thanks. I'm going to start translating other pages and also
Localizer's po file.

Start by the PO files. Localizer 0.9.1 is going to be delayed
few days, if your PO files are ready by then they'll be included.

Now,  I understand.

I sould better to consider  to use  UTF-8 encoding extensively.
It's a bit combersome subject, because encoding of pages may affects to
Zope Splitter and ZCatalog. If I choose UTF-8 for some page, I should
change whole site to UTF-8 to enable whole site search.
Maybe it's inevitable to use UTF-8 for i18n site.

I think so. I've started to move my desktop from ISO-8859-1
to UTF-8, it's a pleasure to see the japanese characters in
the console, even if I don't understand anything.

Firstly, I should make a patch for JSplitter, Japanese Splitter, so as
to handle UTF-8, maybe. Korean and Chinese, ...  users should do
the same things for their Splitter, maybe.

FYI
Many of Japanese sites use EUC-JP and Shift_JIS for their page encoding.
And also  use ISO-2022-JP, mainly for sending e-mails.
(for example, we should patch MailHost  to send mails  ISO-2022-JP
encoded  and also subject mime-encoded)

Thus, Japanese should handle a few encodings always.
It's troublesome, but we should tough through until most of  tools and
programs should handle UTF-8 and programmers familliar with it, also.
It takes time, maybe. Anyway, UTF-8 is far better than ASCII encoding.
Many programs only treat ASCII characters as literal characters.

When I  localize Zope product, first thing to do is grep -i iso-8859 and
also search such code,  "if ord(c) <= 31 or ord(c) >= 127:" (grin)
We, double byte character set users,  need 8bit through coding.

If you think Localizer can do something else to improve
the situation, don't hesitate to tell me.

Regards,
Kazuya Fukamachi

Regards,

--
J. David Ibanez, http://www.j-david.net
Software Engineer / Ingenieur Logiciel / Ingeniero de Software