Re: First version of MinGW octave

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: First version of MinGW octave
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 20:07:56 -0500

On Feb 15, 2006, at 10:46 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 15-Feb-2006, Shai Ayal wrote:

| Can sockets and fork be implemented in mingw or do I have to write a
| nigw specific version to handle this using windows calls?

Umm, isn't that what Cygwin provides?  I don't see the point of
reinvinting the "missing" parts of Cygwin for MinGW.

Cygwin goes to considerable efforts to match posix semantics for
things like fork and signals.  We don't need posix semantics
necessarily, and we can adjust the system abstraction layer
to have semantics which is easy to implement on either Windows
or Unix.

- Paul