Re: moving toward a 3.0 release

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: moving toward a 3.0 release
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 18:59:09 -0400

On 28-Sep-2006, David Bateman wrote:

| If we move 2.1.73 to a stable category aren't we in a sense agreeing to
| support bug-fixes on it. Whereas, there are some known bugs in 2.1.73
| that you've stated you won't fix. Therefore from a practical point of
| view probably better just to replace it with a 2.9.9 testing release,
| and then there are no false hopes.....

OK, seems fine to me.  I want people using 2.9.x now anyway.  2.1.73
won't be going away though.  Also, since there are some incompatible
changes in 2.9.x (no built-in variables, etc.) we should have a clear
warning on the download page about those things.  I suspect we will
soon find out which of these changes are not yet documented in the
NEWS file.

| In any case, Soren and I will have to hurry after a 2.9.9 release to get
| the new package style octave-forge stuff into place. I don't think its
| far off, but there are still some cleanups needed.

OK.