Re: moving toward a 3.0 release

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: moving toward a 3.0 release
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 21:33:58 -0600

On 9/27/06, Bill Denney <address@hidden> wrote:
One of the major difficulties I had is that I don't know gnuplot well,
and I therefore had difficulty trying to make gnuplot work with the
frontend.  Without a good backend, it's tough to test the frontend.  The
other problem is that with the speed of the interpreter, it takes ~30
second to create first figure.

Does it have to be a gnuplot? -- Do not get me wrong I do think that
gnuplot is a fine stand-alone program. But in a situation where we
want to emulate matlab behavior i may not be the best choice.
I believe even John once said that if he had to start all over
again he is not sure that his choice for a graphical end would
be gnuplot. Since this graphics handle thing is a new thing perhaps
we could think of a different backend?

Bill

Sincerely,

Dmitri.