Java/OpenGL-based graphics package for octave

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Java/OpenGL-based graphics package for octave
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 12:35:12 +0200

Hi,

People interested may have a look at the code I'm working on. It's a graphics
package for octave, based on Java for the windowing environment and OpenGL
for the 3D rendering. The package is available at

http://www.geocities.com/sw286000/oplot-gl/

The package is aimed to be fully compatible with the handle-based graphics
system of Matlab. Up to now, I focused on the graphics core object (line, patch,
surface, image and light) and the 3D visualization (2D is just a special case).
It's still in early stage, but you can already do interesting or advanced things
with it (see the attachment for an example of surface with lighting and
transparency).

The current features are (non-exhaustive):
- all core objects: line, patch, surface, image, text and light
- lighting and transparency
- full camera-based 3D visualization like in Matlab
- basic support for legends and stem series
- mouse-based zoom and 3D rotation (use middle button to switch
between 2 modes, no GUI yet)

As requirements, you need Java, JOGL (Java interface to OpenGL) and
the java interface package from octave-forge. The README file of the
package contains a few hints for installation (especially for JOGL).
I only tested it under Windows, so it's highly probably that it won't
work out-of-the-box under UNIX systems.

My goal is to go one step further and also support GUI elements
(buttons, comboboxes...) as well as other higher-level objects used
in Matlab (bar series, contour series...)

If you give it a try, could you report your experience to me? I'd be glad to
hear from you.

Michael.