Re: [OctDev] Java/OpenGL-based graphics package for octave

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Java/OpenGL-based graphics package for octave
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 16:49:50 -0500

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 23-Apr-2007, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| I'm getting the impression that matryoshka pointers get so excessive that one is | forced to implement all plotting capability inside Octave. If every line of the | lengend is to have its own handle and every stem and symbol is to have its own | handle (why? so people can move an individual stem left or right a little bit?)
The stemseries object is the set of lines and markers that makes up
the stem plot.  This avoids having N handles for N stem lines.

Oh, I see; that makes sense. But no one has added 'case "stemseries"' to the __go_draw_axes__.m file yet?

| It can still be programmed as a child of the figure, and it could have some of | the properties. However, full blown property set probably is not doable. I | doubt people will complain if they can't have a handle to the, say, right line | of the legend so its color can be changed to something different than the rest.

It looks like the legend is a special type of axes object with Tag set
to "legend".  Each entry in the legend is defined by three objects.
One for the line (type == "line"), one for marker (type == "line"),
and one for the label (type == "text").  The border around the legend
is part of the legend axes object itself, same as the border around a
plot axes object.  So the hard part is probably the placement, sizing,
and spacing for this object.

This would be like a child object then?  Analogous to

__go_draw_figure__  calls  __go_draw_axes__

there might be

__go_draw_axes__  calls  __go_draw_legend__

? And then the legend would have its own properties which is more an "interpretive" kind of thing rather than really creating "line" and "text" objects?

Dan