Re: [OctDev] Java/OpenGL-based graphics package for octave

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Java/OpenGL-based graphics package for octave
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 15:59:15 +0200

On 4/23/07, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:
Yes, but you even modify the line function...

Ooops. I forgot that one. It should go into some __go_line__ indeed.
Or maybe __line__: I noticed that the current __line__ creates the
line object, then assign xdata/ydata/zdata. From my perspective, I
prefer to have these values at construction-time.

Ultimately the best way would be to make legend compatible with the
matlab way of doing things in the frontend, so you wouldn't need to
modify it.

IMO, it'd be OK to have legend to parse the arguments to get the
axes handle, operation ('hide', 'show'...) and string items and pass
everything to a __go_legend__ function that would take care of
the rest. Implementing a legend as in Matlab with gnuplot would
be cumbersome, wouldn't it?

Again is there a way to modify stem that gets the front-, back-end
separation right?

In stem, I would parse the arguments to extract xdata/ydata/zdata
and the line/marker specs and pass everything into a low-level
construction function like:

 __go_stemseries__ (ax, 'xdata', x, 'ydata', y, 'zdata', z, 'linestyle', ls,
'marker', m, ...)

This function is then responsible to post-process the data in the way
it wants, create the stem lines and the base line.

I suppose, I was worrying more about the front-end than the backend
whereas your purpose is to get the backend running and then worry about
the front-end. Hey, it'll work out in the end either way..

Indeed, I focused more on the 3D rendering first. For the front-end, I'd
say the most important thing is "stay as generic as possible".

Michael.