Re: Changing package file extension

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Changing package file extension
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 15:33:54 -0500

On 29-Jan-2009, Søren Hauberg wrote:

| I guess that's me. I'm a bit overworked at the moment, so I'm neglecting
| my Octave-Forge duties, which is a bit embarrassing I guess. From a
| practical point of view it's trivial to rename the package files during
| building. It might, however, be problematic to upload files with a
| non-standard extension to Octave-Forge (I don't know as I haven't
| tried).

OK.  Well, I don't see this as an urgent issue.  It was brought up
becuase a small number of people seem to be confused by the tar.gz
extension, and they think they should just unpack the tar.gz file to
install the package.  Well, the people who do that are just not paying
attention, so how much work should we do to cater to the few people
that get this wrong?  Maybe it is not worth the effort.  Maybe we
should wait to see if this question come up a lot more often, before
making the change.