Re: GUI Octave

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: GUI Octave
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 12:55:40 -0600

On 14 February 2011 04:58, Ole Jacob Hagen <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I used an application named depends to see which libraries that GUIOctave
> linked against.
> Guess what, it's a pure windows application. It's not using any open source
> widget frameworks at all, so most of the code must be adjusted to fit either
> Qt, fltk, Gtk.

I don't understand. Are you saying that because it's a Windows
application, there's no value in its source code?

This is what I did which makes me think it might include some sort of
Octave code:

     address@hidden:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/GUIOctave/bin$ strings
GUIOctave.exe | grep -C 10 sin
     structfun
     spsumsq
     size_equal
     system
     struct_levels_to_print
     spsum
     size
     syssub
     struct_elements
     spstats
     sinint
     syssetsignals
     struct_contains
     sprintf
     sinh
     sysscale
     struct2cell
     spring
     single
     sysrepdemo
     struct
     sprank
     sinewave
     sysreorder
     strtrunc
     sprandsym
     sinetone
     sysprune
     strtrim
     sprandn
     sind
     sysout
     strtok
     sprand
     sinc
     sysmult
     strrep
     spqr
     sysmin
     strptime
     spprod
     silent_functions
     sysidx
     strncmpi
     spparms
     --
     prctile
     poisson_pdf
     pchip
     pwelch
     ppval
     poisson_inv
     ppplot
     poisson_cdf
     pburg
     power
     poissinv
     pause
     pow2
     poisscdf
     pathsep
     puts
     postpad
     pngwrite
     pathdef
     putenv
     popen2
     --
     int2str
     ignore_function_time_stamp
     isletter
     is_siso
     int16
     ifftshift
     iskeyword
     is_signal_list
     inputname
     ifftn
     isinteger
     is_scalar
     input_event_hook
     ifft2
     isinf
     is_sample
     input
     ifft
     isind
     is_observable
     inpolygon
     isieee
     is_matrix
     inline
     idst
     ishold
     is_list
     info_program
     idct2
     --
     hist2d
     hammgen
     hist
     hadamard
     housh
     hinfsyn_ric
     h2syn
     houghtf
     hinfsyn_chk
     h2norm
     gnuplot_command_using
     getuid
     genpath
     gnuplot_command_title
     getrusage
     gen2par
     gnuplot_command_splot
     getpwuid
     gzip
     gnuplot_command_replot
     getpwnam
     --
     coth
     compare_versions
     chisquare_test_independence
     cauchy_cdf
     cotd
     compand
     chisquare_test_homogeneity
     catch
     compan
     chisquare_rnd
     cosint
     commutation_matrix
     chisquare_pdf
     cast
     cosh
     comms
     chisquare_inv
     case
     cosets
     common_size
     chisquare_cdf
     --
     acoth
     autoreg_matrix
     assignin
     anderson_darling_cdf
     acotd
     autoload
     assert
     arch_test
     acot
     autocov
     asinh
     arch_rnd
     ancestor
     acosh
     autocor
     asind
     arch_fit
     analdemo
     acosd
     ausave
     asin
     arburg
     amodce
     acos
     aurecord
     asech
     ar_psd
     ammod
     accumarray
     auplot
     asecd

I don't know why it's referring to so many Octave functions. Perhaps
it's only for syntax highlighting or for docstrings. Or perhaps it's
calling those functions in some way.

At any rate, I think we should wait for Joaquim to tell us what can he
do about giving us the source before we speculate more. After all, he
already wrote the software and gave it away for other people to use.
It's obvious he's doing this in good faith.

- Jordi G. H.