Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build

From: fork
Subject: Re: Performance issues on Windows, suggests a MSVC build
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 23:47:46 +0000 (UTC)

John W. Eaton <jwe <at> octave.org> writes:

> So now the Octave project is responsible for fixing the problems
> associated with setting up MinGW?

JWE:

I don't think anyone is suggesting you or anybody is *responsible* for anything
at all, in the sense that if you don't do it you are shirking some duty or moral
obligation.  If you (JWE) don't want to worry about the binary, then don't --
nobody would blame you and we are *immensely* grateful for what you do.

As a (possibly representative) pro-mingw whiner, I just (1) really want an mingw
binary so I can use it at work, (2) think having an easily available and up to
date binary would benefit the Octave project in terms of "mindshare", (3) don't
have a clue how to build it myself, (4) have some random thoughts on how to
solve these problems, and (5) share these thoughts on the list.  (I hate MS
windows as much as you, but I have a job where that is not going to budge.)

I am *not* trying to make you or anyone feel so guilty you finally give up and
make it happen -- it would be quite reasonable if you excused yourself from the
whole binary mac os x and windows problem, discussion, and implementation; you
do plenty already (like make the whole project happen).  Hopefully you would
give your blessing and advise when appropriate, is all.  I don't think anyone
else itching to get a binary on their desktop thinks this way either (and if
they do, who cares?  to hell with them.)

Also, any discussion of a binary build would probably occur on this list, but
there is no need for you to engage it if it bothers you (if you would rather, a
new list could be started).  And some support code for the binary might be best
stored near the unix oriented tree and downloaded from a nearby website, but
that doesn't seem so painful; any maintenance needs to be delegated too --
nobody expects you do that (I hope).

Sorry if this is just noise, and I *don't* contribute code, so I don't have a
vote, but it seems appropriate to get a little meta to this discussion before
everyone gets pissed off at everyone else.