Re: GUI design

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: GUI design
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:06:42 -0400

On 29 March 2012 14:54, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> wrote:
> The L of LGPL stands for "lesser".  I'm not sure what the difference is
> between the LGPL license and the GPL license, but apparently they are
> different:

This essay explains what the LGPL is and how it's meant to be used:

    http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html

I noticed earlier in the discussion about GUI Octave that you seemed
surprised that the GPL doesn't allow certain things. Indeed, it
doesn't. The GPL forbids distributing non-free derivative works. And
here "free" means the same thing that it means in the phrase "a free
man". It doesn't mean a man you don't have to pay for, because that
would be a slave, and slaves are certainly not free. ;-)

Briefly, the LGPL explicitly allows linking with non-free works and
distributing the result, but the GPL doesn't:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Lesser_General_Public_License#Differences_from_the_GPL

- Jordi G. H.