Re: Rename src/

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Rename src/
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 16:11:14 -0400

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
> On 14 August 2012 13:24, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 08/14/2012 10:00 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>
>>> From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
>
>>> One last thing in the source tree reorganisation. Can we rename
>>> src/ to interp/?
>
>> We could do that, although I don't have too much of a problem with src/
>> since it *is* the source code for octave, which happens to be an
>> interpreter.
>
> Well, Octave is now also a GUI, and arguably it's also a bunch of C++
> libraries to wrap around Fortran libraries (liboctave). I don't know,
> I found the plain "src/" name to no longer be descriptive. Octave is
> no longer primarily just an interpreter. With the GUI, now it looks
> like the interpreter is but one important component of Octave, but now
> Octave is also an editor, documentation browser, and a source-level
> debugger.

I'm somewhat ambivalent about this, but when I see a "src" directory
in a project, that is usually where the primary executable or end
product lives. And in the case of Octave, all the other source
directories, even including gui, are built to support the executable
in src.

Rik also wrote:
>> I see it being more of a problem where the directory names
>> are not descriptive of what is inside.  For example, libcruft gives me no
>> indication of what I should really expect to find there.  When John gets
>> back in a few days I'd like to see about renaming that directory.  It is a
>> bunch of old Fortran code so maybe "liboctfort", "libfort", etc.

I do like this idea, and I'd want to see something that indicates the
library belongs to Octave. On Debian, libcruft is installed alongside
all other system libraries, so it might be good to namespace it like
liboctfort or liboctf77, or even liboctcruft :)

--
mike