Re: octclip and geometry package

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: octclip and geometry package
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 13:45:12 +0100

On 20 June 2013 13:23, José Luis García Pallero <address@hidden> wrote:
> But in order to the package maintaining, I can only assure support for my
> code, i. e. the code on https://bitbucket.org/jgpallero/octclip
> Is there any way to do the changes (if they are needed) on
> https://bitbucket.org/jgpallero/octclip and clone them on the repo for
> geometry?

It should be possible to have octclip has a subrepo inside the
geometry repo. Kinda similar of what's happening with gnulib and
Octave core. But if you're releasing octclip separately in any way
it's a mess. Suppose someone has version X of octclip. And then
installs geometry which includes version Y of octclip. Depending on
the the order they installed the packages on that day they will have
different results. And if other packages depend on octclip and another
on geometry...

I don't mind what happens as long as there's no 2 packages around with
the same code. Either 1) geometry includes octclip and the octclip
package is removed (it can still exist in a separate repository), or
2) geometry removes octclip and adds a dependency on octclip (if its
functions really depend on it). However, if you go for the 1, please
reconsider if it's really necessary to keep the extra repository.
Having the two together does not mean you are responsible to give
support to the whole thing. It's just an extra layer of unnecessary
complexity.

Carnë