Re: Final call for bug reports

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Final call for bug reports
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 01:40:56 -0500

On 10/15/2013 09:55 AM, Rik wrote:
The release cycle for Octave 3.8 is underway.  Before releasing we want to
identify, and fix, any critical bugs.  If you have encountered odd behavior
with the development version of Octave, but haven't found time to file a
report on our bug tracker (bugs.octave.org), now is the time to do so.  The
deadline for new submissions is tomorrow, Wednesday Oct. 16th.  After that
we will begin reviewing which reports absolutely must be
fixed before the release.  We can't guarantee your report will be included,
but we also can't fix what we don't know about.

I'm pressed for time, but here's a short list of bugs/mods I've come across recently:

1) I see this at startup quite often.

HDF5: infinite loop closing library

D,T,F,FD,P,FD,P,FD,P,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E,E

I'm not quite sure how to reproduce the issue, however.

2) The Editor has no "preferences". Could a preferences option be added to the Editor "File" or "Edit" drop-down menu that jumps directly to the Editor or Editor Styles dialog box of the main window's preferences?

3) What are the default font settings? My preference is a mono-space font, so I've chosen Liberation Mono 11 point as the Default and all other text types to have the Default font. I felt that 9 point is kind of small for editing. 9 point suffices for the Octave output. When the comments are not the same font as the rest of the code and nothing is mono-spaced, layout didn't look very organized.

4) Would it be possible to turn off the auto completion of commands when typing comment text? That is, only have code completion on text that is potentially a command. The editor knows enough that text after a % or # should be highlighted in green text, so I'm wondering if it might be pretty easy.

5) The copyright added to files created via "edit sample1.m" shouldn't be added. Or the GNU copyright notice creation could be an input option, such "gnu", "gpl" or "license". There is no reason that the code generated by a user should fall under the GPL or any other license. It's the user's prerogative to release original code under a license. Here is the text from the GPL:

"
How to Apply These Terms to Your New Programs

If you develop a new program, and you want it to be of the greatest possible use to the public, the best way to achieve this is to make it free software which everyone can redistribute and change under these terms.

To do so, attach the following ...
"

6) Multiplot mode doesn't seem to behave as well as it once did. For example, after running freqz() and closing the figure and opening a new figure with "figure(#)", I see:

figure(3)

multiplot>
               ^
           line 0: function to plot expected

7) In the list of children associated with a figure, I'm trying to determine which is an axes and which is a legend. Try the following commands:

figure(10)
x = [1:50]
h = plot(x)
legend(h, 'this is x');
kids = get(gcf, 'Children')
get(kids(1))
[snip]
    tag = legend
    type = axes
[snip]
get(kids(2))
[snip]
    tag =
    type = axes
[snip]

It's as though the "tag" for the legend actually should be the "type" variable value. There shouldn't be a tag there unless the user specifies one. This may have been introduced somewhere around the following changeset: http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/d99785217634

8) Users are not going to like the debugger lines displayed in the terminal area. It takes up valuable space that can be used for displaying variables between breakpoints and generally just makes comprehension that much more difficult because of how busy the window appears. To me, the lines of debug text in the command window are extraneous. All that information is available inherently with the new GUI-based debugger.

Dan