Re: Removing packages from Octave Forge

From: c.
Subject: Re: Removing packages from Octave Forge
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 15:27:45 +0100

On 9 Jan 2014, at 15:04, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 9 January 2014 13:48, c. <address@hidden> wrote:
>> In general I'm not sure that the fact that a package has not been updated
>> means
>> it needs to be removed, why should it be changed if it works?
>
> On 9 January 2014 13:40, PhilipNienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:
>> As long as the packages compile and still work I'd suggest to keep them. Or
>> are they in the way?
>
> There are no tests to know if they work. A package with a bunch of m
> files will always install but that doesn't mean it's in any way
> usable. Same goes for something that can be compiled.
>
> Having a bunch of packages displayed on Octave Forge, but where the
> majority is useless is misleading and gives a bad impression of
> Octave. What do you say of a project where more than half of its stuff
> does not work? We want to be a reliable and stable piece of software,
> and this gives bad reputation to the project.

Carnë,

I think the the phrases "we want" and "a piece of software" are inappropriate
here.

Octave Forge packages are not one single piece of software they are different
applications
and each should be managed by its own maintainer.

You should not feel responsible for packages that are not maintained by you or
by "the community",
the latest release date and the contact of the package maintainer are clearly
mentioned in the
package description page, you should let users decide if they should use that
package or not.

Even if a package is orphaned and not working it might be useful to keep it in
the list in case
someone one wants to pick it up and start working on it again.

In the Agora design it was planned to have comment/votes to inform users about
the usability of
each package.

BTW, I propose to change the name of Agora. "Ουτοπία" or "Καλλίπολις" would
better reflect
its development process ...

c.