Re: very small packages - merge into general/miscelleneous or move into

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: very small packages - merge into general/miscelleneous or move into core
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 16:11:39 +0100

On Sat, Feb 01, 2014 at 09:48:22PM +0100, c. wrote:

> On 1 Feb 2014, at 19:47, Olaf Till <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > If you agree to that, I'll push it. Afterwards, I'll do the necessary
> > reorganization (Makefile, documentation, dropping one of the two exit
> > functions,
>
> that sounds great, thanks!
>
> > clarifying that fsave/fload are only for use on the local
> > machine).
>
> actually I think they might also be used to transfer data over a socket
> to a remote machine, but I've never tried that.

For reasons of speed, they write and read no header, so they don't
care for differences in endianness and (potential) differences in
float format between different machines. Using them to transfer data
between different machines will not necessarily work. For this, there
are different functions in "parallel".

> After the merge, I'd like to prepare a release of the package if
> you're OK with it.

Actually I would prefer to do that myself. There will be more to think
about for this than merely parcellfun and pararrayfun. I understand
you want a new release early (though I don't understand what is the
cause of the urgency, doesn't "general" compile for you currently?).

Olaf