Re: Release Ideas

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Release Ideas
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 12:35:50 -0500

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 16:23:25 -0500, John W. Eaton wrote:
> It's been a long time since 3.8.0.
>
> What's required for the gui-release branch to be released?  My list really
> only has
>
>   Use Qt widgets for plotting with the GUI
>
> I've been working a little bit on adding buttons and making zooming work
> with the mouse wheel.  I hope to push some changes for those things later
> this week.
>
> Beyond that, I think the GUI is in pretty good shape.  Sure, a lot of issues
> have been reported, but I think it is more than usable at this point.
>
> I'd like to follow that release relatively soon with a release from what is
> now the default branch because it has a lot more bug fixes that should
> probably be in a released version of Octave.
>
> What show-stopping bugs need to be fixed on either branch before we make a
> release?

I agree, FWIW. I have not been using the gui-release branch as much as
I would like, but it seems to me like it is in very good shape for a
release. And the Windows binary task seems like it is in good shape
too, just from what I've seen observing the lists and bug reports.
Releasing a more stable GUI and an official Window binary were the
main release goals for 4.0.

I think it's important that we do release 4.0 from the gui-release
branch, followed by 4.2 from the default branch, as we originally had
planned. If the schedule changes, so be it, but the version numbers
are meaningful and the two branches are providing different stages of
improvements.

Bug #41819 should definitely be addressed for 4.0. I see there is a
patch to be tested, I'll try it on my setup.

I would like to revisit bug #37062 for 4.0, but this is more of a QA
bug related to the GUI, definitely not a blocker.

--
mike