Re: Release Ideas

From: c.
Subject: Re: Release Ideas
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 16:40:45 +0100

On 28 Jan 2015, at 22:00, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

> I've done that myself. I even modified it to install as a relocatable bundle
> ... but it wasn't an easy task. If we don't make it relocatable, is there a
> way to enure there isn't a conflict?

The 3.8.0/3.8.2 .dmg/.mpkg distribution on Source Forge installs a full
Macports tree in /usr/local/octave/<version number>
and a .app launcher in /Applications. The .app launcher can be moved anywhere
but the actual binaries and libraries must
be in that path.

I can produce a similar distrbution for 4.0 with Mavericks and, according to
feedback I have received for the 3.8.2, release
it will probably work on Yosemite as well.

The problem is that it almost certainly will not be able to install packages as
the developer tools on Mavericks and Yosemite
are different versions.

I did not update to Yosemite yet and I will not be able to do so for a while as
I found some code I use for my research work
will not build on Yosemite so I need to stick with Mavericks.

> Ben
c.