Re: Proposal for new Octave website

From: edmund ronald
Subject: Re: Proposal for new Octave website
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 14:44:40 +0100

If there were a way to make this publicly editable, we wouldn't really be having the Forge discussion, somebody would just go and do it. That is the big strength of the wiki model - if something takes off it gets to be immortal like a coral reef. Can some way be found to combine the strengths of this proposal and the quick-edit/rollback functionality of wiki? If it is Git tech, maybe we can hand out commit privileges, have random contributors issue pull requests, and there is merge and rollback built in?

Edmund

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 11:48 AM, Doug Stewart <address@hidden> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 3:15 AM, Alex Krolick <address@hidden> wrote:
> On the other hand, if one cannot edit directly links will go stale, mistakes go unfixed. The wiki has the advantage that one can just update at will. I wonder if some solution can be found so it becomes easy to edit these new pages.

I made the site with Jekyll, which is a static site generator. The main pages are all Markdown---pretty easy to edit. The index is plain HTML but not too bad to work with, in my opinion. Considering the current site is also static, this should probably be a separate discussion point once the content is hammered out.

What about a buttons that says "Packages" or "Extend Octave"

The Forge section could be bumped up into the installation section and a link could be added to the top bar, but I am not sure if that information is useful to newcomers. New users won't know what packages they need until they are familiar with the core library. There should probably be a Getting Started guide that covers the basic architecture of the project, syntax, usage of the basic modules, etc. at a level between the syntax examples and the docs.

I agree with this last statement.  ( and all these ideas)
Doug

-Alex