Re: Proposal for new Octave website

From: LachlanA
Subject: Re: Proposal for new Octave website
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 18:47:49 -0800 (PST)

Alex Krolick wrote
> The Forge section could be bumped up into the installation section and a
> link could be added to the top bar, but I am not sure if that information
> is useful to newcomers. New users won't know what packages they need until
> they are familiar with the core library. There should probably be a
> Getting
> Started guide that covers the basic architecture of the project, syntax,
> usage of the basic modules, etc. at a level between the syntax examples
> and
> the docs.

Don't forget that many newcomers to Octave will be at least partly familiar
with Matlab.  It would be useful to provide a quick indication of how the
Forge packages (and Octave itself) relate to Matlab and its toolkits.  For
example, if a user knows "I use Matlab and the image processing toolbox", it
should be easy to find out which packages to install to provide all of the
functions the users is used to having (of those that have been implemented,
of course).

Cheers,
Lachlan