Re: [Openexr-devel] zlib and Carbon build

From: Paul Schneider
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] zlib and Carbon build
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 10:31:49 -0800

Sorry about coming to this thread late - I'll try to respond to all of the CodeWarrior issues in this message.

Darrin:
I was able to make a shim library that uses the already installed zlib library in the Carbon version. If others want it, let me know and I'll tidy it up. The convenience of the shim library is that it would no longer require developers to download and build the zlib source, which has proven to be error prone.

That sounds great - thanks, Darrin! Of course, zlib is not installed on OS 9, so developers that want to target OS 9 will still have to build their own static library. That's OK though - I think that the default projects we ship should use the zlib installed with OS X, and we can provide instructions for developers interested in OS 9 support (complete with accurate URL - sorry about that!).

Darrin:
In messing with the zlib library, I noticed that the 3 Carbon targets in ExrLib.mcp project all include it, but only IlmImfTest actually uses it. It probably gets stripped out during linking, but it would be cleaner not to include it in targets that don't use it. I didn't check the Mach-O targets, but I'm guessing that IexTest and ImathTest probably don't use it in the Mach-O versions, too.

Yes, that's true.  We can clean that up.

Jo:
I had some problems with access paths ( no big deal ), and once I'd got
zlib and compiled it ( which was painless ) everything just built
straight off.

Which access paths weren't correct? Was it just that you didn't have the zlib source where CodeWarrior expected it, or were there some other paths that were incorrect (maybe absolute instead of project-relative)?

Darrin:
When I opened the ExrTests.mcp file, it told me for each target in the project that {Project}../ExrLib/build directory didn't exist. However, that directory does exist.

I believe that CodeWarrior will create that directory if it doesn't exist, so you can ignore the error. I'll try to fix that, though - the less confusing warnings that CodeWarrior spits out while building EXR, the better.

Darrin:
Also, would others be interested in having a MacOS CodeWarrior project which builds the Win32 version? If so, I might try putting one together once I figure out all the problems I'm having with the Mac version. It could theoretically even be combined into the MacOS project file, if you wanted.

Yes, if you or Jo want to do this, that would be great. I think it should just be a new target in the existing projects. I had been thinking about adding this, but I didn't have resources for testing, and we already have the source building (kind of) in VC++.

Jo:
Thanks a lot to those who sorted out the CW Mac projects. I tried
building the 1.0.4 distro without complete success.

No problem - thanks for helping to polish up the rough edges!

Paul