Re: [Openexr-devel] Introduction and CTL/ICC question

From: Geraldine Joffre
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Introduction and CTL/ICC question
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:03:01 -0500

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:59:06 +0100 (CET), Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote
> Am 11.03.05, 07:09 -0500 schrieb Geraldine Joffre:
>
> > I am under the impression that what you are after is the ability to handle
> > tone
and color
> > reproduction of HDR images via ICC profiles. Is this correct? In this case,
> > you
may want to

> I saw such behaviour within Greg Wards photosphere application. Well
> it is very different from the ICC concept of "one colour at one
> time" handling. Tonemapping introduces frequencies, handling the
> neighbourhood of colours as well.
No. Some tonemapping techniques do take into account the values of neighbouring
pixels but many others do not. The TRC of a display profile for instance is a
type of
tonemapping, though not a sophisticated one.

> First I would like to adapt a tonemapping implementation to
> CinePaint. Then I may go more seriously in such a discussion.
Well, I was just trying to guess what you want to achieve, which is still not
clear to
me.

Geraldine Joffre
MultimediaPhoto Sarl