Re: [Openexr-devel] Introduction and CTL/ICC question

From: Geraldine Joffre
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Introduction and CTL/ICC question
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 07:09:33 -0500

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:27:40 +0100 (CET), Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote
> Am 10.03.05, 12:02 -0800 schrieb Joseph Goldstone:
> > Were you serious about wanting a parameterized form for color primaries,
> > matrices and gamma values, or was that rhetorical, with the real weight of
> > your request concerning tone reproduction curves and the shaper LUTs
> > expressed
> > as a component of the lut16Type, lut8Type, lutAtoBType and lutBtoAType
> > encodings?
>
> My question included tone reproduction as well as profiles
> for content manipulation. While ICC CMMs usualy work with CLUTs or
> lattices (except display profiles), matrix based profiles often
> could very elegant express the same. Faced for instance with the
> imprecission of CLUT based profiles for large gamut differences, the
> matrix approach seems plausible.

I am under the impression that what you are after is the ability to handle tone
and color
reproduction of HDR images via ICC profiles. Is this correct? In this case, you
may want to
consider the following points:

1. Existing tone reproduction techniques for HDR images are using parameters
that depend on
the characteristic of the image processed, i.e. vary from image to image
depending on the pixel
values. I don't see how such parameters could be stored in an ICC profile.

2. AFAIK, the main purpose of ICC profiles is to facilitate communicate between
imaging
devices, but imaging devices are still low dynamic range (expect maybe a few
exception for
high-end display devices but it will take some time before their use become
widespread). Sure,
ICC profiles can also be used as abstract profiles but the structure was
primarily designed for
the needs of device profiles, for which the complexity lies in color gamut
mapping rather than
tone mapping.

I'm not saying it isn't worthwile exploring this, I just want to point out some
issues regarding
the use of the ICC profiles mechanism for HDR imaging.

Geraldine Joffre
MultimediaPhoto Sarl
http://www.hdrsoft.com