Re: [Openexr-devel] Introduction and CTL/ICC question

From: Lars Borg
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Introduction and CTL/ICC question
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:17:58 -0800

At 10:44 AM -0800 3/9/05, Drew Hess wrote:
It depends on what you mean by "reasonable performance," but on an
NV30-class GPU, you can get ~20fps playback on HD-resolution 16-bit FP
RGBA frames using 3 full 1x65536 LUTs; that is, one LUT for each color
channel (R, G, B) that can transform any 16-bit half value to any
other 16-bit half value.

That's about 40 Mpixels/sec.
Using 65k LUTs may be suboptimal as you may become memory bound.

We have seen >>100 Mpixels/sec with GeForce 6800 GT with many types of ICC profiles and float data, and we think it can go faster. This case was GPU bound, not memory bound.

I don't know how NV30 compares with 6800.

Lars Borg
Adobe Systems