Re: [Openexr-devel] DWA compression

From: Karl Rasche
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] DWA compression
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 08:57:42 -0700

Didn't realize it was going to be variable.  Nice.  What is the recommended range for dwaCompressionLevel?

If you don't specify the FloatAttribute, it will default to using 45.0, which is probably a good lower bound of the range.

(The value is unbounded, with small values leading to less compression, and larger values yielding heavier compression).

I'd try starting at 85, and play around to see what an acceptable level might be for the situation at hand. If the frame isn't going to undergo heavy magnification, you might be able to push it higher. >200 might be find for vacation photos, but isn't going to be terribly useful in a production setting.

The article says it's patented.  Can we assume that the patents will be available for free use in perpetuity, etc?

See PATENTS.

Karl