Re: [Openexr-devel] DWA compression

From: Brendan Bolles
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] DWA compression
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 10:55:31 -0700

On Aug 9, 2014, at 8:57 AM, Karl Rasche wrote:

> The article says it's patented.  Can we assume that the patents will be
> available for free use in perpetuity, etc?
>
> See PATENTS.

So it says in there, "This grant does not include use of DreamWorks Lossy
Compression outside of the OpenEXR standard."

I'm working on a movie format that will, among other things, embed a sequence
of EXR frames inside an MXF file.  I do intend to write complete EXR files,
including headers.  Would this constitute operating within the OpenEXR
standard, even if I'm using it as part of another standard?

Brendan