Re: [Openexr-devel] DWA compression

From: Brendan Bolles
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] DWA compression
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 17:19:58 -0700

On Aug 9, 2014, at 8:57 AM, Karl Rasche wrote:

> I'd try starting at 85, and play around to see what an acceptable level might
> be for the situation at hand. If the frame isn't going to undergo heavy
> magnification, you might be able to push it higher. >200 might be find for
> vacation photos, but isn't going to be terribly useful in a production
> setting.

OK, this DWA compression seems pretty awesome, Karl.  Kudos!  I wrote up a blog
post complete with demo movie here:

http://fnordware.blogspot.com/2014/08/dwa-compression-in-openexr-22.html

How do you guys use it in your pipeline at DreamWorks?

One thing I noticed is that it doesn't seem to apply lossy compression to
anything other than RGB channels, is that right?  Also, what happens if you
send it 32-bit float instead of our standard 16-bit?

Brendan