Re: [Openexr-devel] DWA compression

From: Brendan Bolles
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] DWA compression
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 10:18:06 -0700

On Aug 16, 2014, at 11:35 PM, Sean Y Chen wrote:

> In Brendan Bolles's demo video, it seems that 100000 is the limit for a
> couple of the images, though one of them goes to 250000 before reaching file
> size 1.

Here's the code for the little program I wrote to generate those sequences.
I'm basically doing compression = pow(10.0, frame / 25.0), with frames going
from 0-149.  I wouldn't say it's perceptually linear exactly, although if you
look at the MtTamWest example where I show difference mode, the diff seems to
come in pretty linearly.

Karl's has a nice write-up on the algorithm at the top of ImfDwaCompressor.cpp.

Brendan