RE: [Openvds-devel] jail

From: Dave Cost
Subject: RE: [Openvds-devel] jail
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 17:01:54 -0800

> I use sphera and honestly, it sucks.  I can't begin to tell you how much I
> hate it.  Anyways, I thought that maybe having an OS inside an OS would
> provide people great flexibility by making it so that "anything" can be
> installed in to the virtual environment.  Unlike Sphera where if
> you try to
> alter the sednmail configuration you can't.  If you tryy to add
> modules it's
> a pain.  I just want a virtual server to be just that, not a
> limited watered
> down version with no real power.  With Sphera you get what it is
> or hit the
> road.

I find sphera good for resellers. They just add their domains and I bill
them. There's enough in sphera to keep them happy while I play with OpenVDS
;-)

> What about user mode linux?  That's more like jail right?

I considered it in the past but found freevsd to be more hosting-oriented so
that was my choice. This was some time ago and I'm not sure what the state
of UML is now.

> I obviously need to study freeVSD/openVDS more and how this differs :)

Well... I can tell you that I'm hosting a few hundreds domains in a handfull
of virtual servers and they work nicely. I also give a webmin control panel
so some resellers so that they can change things around. Telnet/ssh access
is another story. That's my field.

In the mean time I'm working on what will be OpenVDS-2 which will be an
entirely new project and very different than FreeVSD, ProVDS and so on. I
hope I'll be able to finish it but I could use some help :-)

Dave.