Re: [Openvds-devel] Control Panel for OpenVDS-2

From: Joe Cooper
Subject: Re: [Openvds-devel] Control Panel for OpenVDS-2
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 07:25:52 -0600

Dave Cost wrote:

Nifty.  Much better idea for hosting.  Will look into this...When do you
plan to begin implementing a capabilities-based version?  I'll spend
some time on paralleling the development in a Webmin module.

I have a working version already, but I'm writing some scripts to make it
usable. Stuff like the kickstart installation and upgrade. Once ready, I'll
repackage the redhat 7.2 distribution on 1 CD, removing the unnecessary
packages and including the openvds ones, just to make it easy for us to
experiment.

Good.  Will look forward to your post announcing it...

The idea with webmin is to make the module a wrapper for the command line
utility (svsdadm). This way we won't have to write the administration code
twice.

Right.  Easy enough.

Also, svsdadm should stop messing with the configuration files of the
virtuals (i.e. no mode mod_apache, mod_xxxxx), as this is all functionality
where webmin and other managers are much better doing. The idea is to limit
the svsdadm utility to more administrative tasks like creation/removal of
virtual servers, package upgrades, process statistics.

Yep...The 'special' apache/etc. has always rubbed me the wrong way. Webmin is definitely a better frontend and with a couple of custom modules for virtual hosting administration at the VDS level will be ideal for hosts offering reseller accounts, etc. (I already have development going in the area of the custom virt modules...it's at mojo.sourceforge.net. Still way incomplete, but back in development now that I have a little more time.)
--
Joe Cooper <address@hidden>
http://www.swelltech.com