pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] underlines etc in pan

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] underlines etc in pan
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:47:35 -0700

On Monday 11 November 2002 08:31, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> Simplicity is the hallmark of good design, and this is the primary reason I
> object to adding this feature.

Same here, but I might take it if someone coded it, and it wasn't to bloated.

> Here's a counter-idea which may appease both camps. In the spirit of ESR's
> 'Art of Unix Programming' (http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/writings/taoup/), and
> my idea of scripting plugins for Pan, how about a plugin filter script that
> re-renders the text? for those of us who don't want the feature, we just
> don't use the plugin; for those who want it, they use the plugin.
>         this keeps the complexity contained and manageable, which vastly
> increases reliability and customizability.

..  I like this idea.  A similar idea would be to use separate source files
(or even an *.so binary file, with stubs and a bit of shutoff code, if the
lib isn't available, as it seems has happened with the spelling now -- no
more crashes lately if it isn't installed right)  for that, and then control
it with a compile time option, as well as the GUI

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin