pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] ANN: Pan 0.13.92 - "She said that MY DEAD CAT WASSTUPID.

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] ANN: Pan 0.13.92 - "She said that MY DEAD CAT WASSTUPID."
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 03:19:34 -0700

On Tue 25 Mar 2003 13:16, Paul Hudson posted as excerpted below:
> (Windows beta 8)

I'm not sure how the MSWormOS betas sync w/ *ix but some of the below is just
now available in the new 0.13.92 beta of this thread on *ix, anyway.

> Bug: I had to create a News directory in my Documents and Settings
> directory before score files would get created.  Pan should really create
> this itself if it doesn't exist.

The newest beta how has a preference to set the path for the score file.
Previously, it created the default dir whether or not scores were used.
That's corrected in the new beta, but it's possible your bug exists now.  I
haven't used scoring personally, as straight binary decision filtering works
fine for my uses, so I can't say for sure what the behavior is here..

> Feature request: Can we have an option to find and edit the score file (in
> Notepad, say). There seems to be no other way of editing existing score
> rules?

There's a preferences option now for score file editor, separate from the one
for reply editor.  Of course, I don't know that it works, but it is there, in
the .92 beta on *ix, anyway.

> Feature request: For us Xnews veterans, it would be nice to have a mode
> where the group pane appeared on its own, but the article list and articles
> were tiled (vertically or horizontally). I think this is a good feature of
> Xnews - I'm looking at articles and article lists, I want to look at both,
> but I normally don't want to look at groups.

WJF covered this one.  I have a stacked three-monitor display, so don't worry
about tabbed view, using paned view exclusively, but I do toggle the various
panes on and off as desired.   Thus, I'll toggle body and group off to just
view a nearly triple monitor height long list of overviews alone, when
selecting for d/l, toggle only group (which I have beside overviews) off for
normal browsing within a group, or toggle body and overviews off for browsing
the group list (again, nearly triple monitor long) when looking for a new
group to visit.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin