pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pn 0.97 won't start

From: Alex van niel
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pn 0.97 won't start
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 14:32:07 +0200

Dear Darren,

in fear of sending another HTML formatted tekst, I would like to
explain a couple of things and am glad and understand that you only
would like to point out and help me on reporting and using the mailing
list.

First off I had no idea I was sending out HTML formatted text, for
this I humbly apalogize so everyone on the list. Ignorance is no
excuse, so I hope I have fixed that and hopefully this will not happen
again. At work I use Gmail to send e-mail and I think Google should
make their "Convert to plain text" button a bit bigger or more
obvious... or I need glasses :)

Second, I have been searching the list and the bug report list and
could not find anything related to this. Otherwise I would not have
filed a bug report. Again, ignorance is no excuse (do understand I am
talking about myself here :-) ) and thus I will close the bug, and am
looking forward to the new Pan. The older stable Pan is no option
since it does not support NZBs (or at least I have not found it in the
stable version) and it is exactly that which I use often.

This is a problem with my builds, I sent an updated deb for Breezy to
Charles.  If you would like me to send it to you directly I can do that.
 Starting with the next release I will be building separate debs for
Breezy and Dapper.  Since this is a packaging problem and not a problem
with Pan can you go ahead and close your bug?

OK, this may seem overly harsh, but please don't take it wrong.  Just...
do it  a bit different next time, please?

So, again I am not taking this wrong, no worries. It's better to be
told calmly and politely what the rules are rather then having sworn
at for being ignorant of the rules. :) So no worries. As I said above,
I will pay attention to the things you pointed out, would like to
apologize for the mistakes I made and will try to prevent them from
hapening again.

Furthermore, I don't mind using an unstable version. I admit that
"playing russian roulette with my payed account" is a stupid remark
especially considering I was using an unstable version. Thing is, I
haven't noticed this problem before and have been using Pan for a
couple of weeks without problems. With a couple of other downloads I
did not have any problems so I stupidly just assumed too much
stability.

Mmm, you would think that all I do is apologize here today, but then
again, there is reason enough for me to apologize for. Looking from
your point of view this must be something like stepping on a white
freshly vacuumed carpet wearing muddy shoes and walking through the
whole house without noticing it.

I don;t have KDE by the way, I am more of a Gnome user myself.
Besides, it does indeed only do binary downloading and I do read
newsgroups now and again. :-)

Don't get me wrong either: I love Pan. It is quite small compared to
all the M$ stuff out there, not bloated with all those features you
never use (megasuperpaymelotsofmoney power search and the like), it is
quite fast and looks great in Gnome :) So please keep up the good
work. I will be looking forward to the new version and hopefully I can
give GrabIt the old trascan-one-way-ticket treatment at some point.

Cheers,

Alex.

ps.: if I have done something wrong again please let me know...
although keep in mind that it is not on purpose I tread on people's
coats and slap them in the face.