pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.98 "The plain old chaos of undifferentiated w

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: ANN: Pan 0.98 "The plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness."
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 22:40:55 +0000 (UTC)

Robert Marshall
<address@hidden>
posted address@hidden,
excerpted below, on  Sun, 21 May 2006 19:56:18 +0100:

> - I've not seen any suggestions as to what to do if one of your news
> servers is a local leafnode server and you don't want it to start
> downloading groups that you want to read remotely - or is this a leafnode
> config issue?

That might be a tough one, as pan now polls all servers to see what's
available before prioritizing downloads.  It's possible to prioritize
downloads, but the server polling AFAIK happens to all configured servers,
and if I'm correct on leafnode (I'm not a leafnode user now but I've read
of it and was a remote user of a leafnode server at one point), that'll
cause it to start downloading on the polled groups.

The only way I know to fix it would be to (possibly temporarily) configure
leafnode not to carry those groups at all, so pan won't see them on it and
won't poll them on it as a result.  Update the group listing so pan sees
the groups now carried and the ones not carried, and after that, you could
reconfigure leafnode to carry them again if needed, as long as you didn't
update the group listing in pan again.  As soon as  you do, it'll see the
updated list and try to start trying to use it.  That means either never
having PAN pull the updated list, or permanently keeping the list on
leafnode to the ones you want PAN to pull, one or the other.