pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Difficulty In Compiling 0.99

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Difficulty In Compiling 0.99
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 14:21:38 -0700

Graham wrote:
> I'm running Mepis and therefore I usually get my updates through
> apt-get.

Heh.  The reason I switched to gentoo is that the debian packaging
system simply defeats me.  Recently I tried installing ubuntoo
(also based on the debian/apt-get system) and I still can't figure
out how to install what I need  :o(

> Trying to ./configure the source code for pan 0.99 prior to
> compiling bombs out with:
>
> checking for GMIME... configure: error: Package requirements
> (gmime-2.0   >= 2.1.0) were not met...

The 'configure' script often uses the pkg-config utility to test
for required software.  For example, try this:

$pkg-config --modversion gmime
2.1.14

You can see that I have gmime version 2.1.14 installed on my
machine.  If you don't routinely compile software, you may not
even have the required 'development' packages installed on your
machine.  Difficult to say without more info from you about your
setup and your level of experience with building software.