pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: [lists] Re: Difficulty In Compiling 0.99

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: [lists] Re: Difficulty In Compiling 0.99
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 16:00:59 +0000 (UTC)

walt <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 29 May 2006 06:42:58
-0700:

> These checks are specified by 'configure.in', which is found in the top
> directory of the pan sources: PCRE_REQUIRED=5.0
> GLIB_REQUIRED=2.4.0
> GMIME_REQUIRED=2.1.0
> GTK_REQUIRED=2.4.0
> GNOME_REQUIRED=2.0
> GTKSPELL_REQUIRED=2.0.7
> You can see that you still need to deal with gtkspell and gnome after you
> finish with gtk  ;o)

Well, yes and no.  Most of GNOME isn't required, altho gnomelib is used if
installed to handle stuff like browser-prefs.  (If not installed, the
$BROWSER environmental var is used, that var should be a colon separated
list of browsers to try, complete with necessary command line options, the
first one that works will be used, so you can put X based browsers first,
and CLI based browsers such as links/lynx later in the list for use in
CLI environments where the X based browser will fail.)  Since I don't have
GNOME installed here, I do NOT want gnomelib used, as I won't have it
configured to point to the right browser anyway, while it's relatively
easy to point the $BROWSER var to what I want.

Similarly with gtkspell.  That's only necessary if you want spellcheck to
work.

The problem, however, as mentioned by others, is likely the -devel
packages.  That's one reason I'm glad I'm on Gentoo now, because it builds
stuff from source as a general rule, so there's no distinction between the
library and the devel package.  It's also possible there's a versioning
issue -- gtk2.0 would be too old and is not likely on a modern system
anyway (2.4 being the earliest PAN will take, 2.6 recommended), so that
/would/ have a lot of dependencies to install, and wouldn't work anyway.
However, some distributions may label some packages 2.0 when they mean
2.x, to distinguish from 1.x, and with the 2.x really meaning 2.6 or 2.8
or whatever.