pan-users

Re: [lists] Re: [Pan-users] Difficulty In Compiling 0.99

From: walt
Subject: Re: [lists] Re: [Pan-users] Difficulty In Compiling 0.99
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 06:42:58 -0700

Graham wrote:
[...]
> I then tried to compile pan 0.99.  I tried to ./configure and it bombed
> out with this:
>
> checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
> checking for PCRE... yes
> checking for GLIB... yes
> checking for GMIME... yes
> checking for GTK... configure: error: Package requirements (gtk+-2.0
>> = 2.4.0) were not met:

These checks are specified by 'configure.in', which is
found in the top directory of the pan sources:
PCRE_REQUIRED=5.0
GLIB_REQUIRED=2.4.0
GMIME_REQUIRED=2.1.0
GTK_REQUIRED=2.4.0
GNOME_REQUIRED=2.0
GTKSPELL_REQUIRED=2.0.7
You can see that you still need to deal with gtkspell
and gnome after you finish with gtk  ;o)

[...]

> So I went to the Debian packages site to look up gtk+ and found a
> number of candidates including libgtk+2.0-dev but this only threw up a
> LOT of dependencies which I don't have... Could there
> be that many dependencies I've got to add to my system before the
> source will compile 0.99?

Yes, but (I'm guessing) that they will all be the '-dev'
versions of things you already have on your machine.

These 'dev' packages don't take up a lot of space and
likewise should not take long to download or install.

They usually contain header files which go in
/usr/include (i.e. files named *.h) and package-config
files which go in /usr/lib/pkgconfig (files named *.pc).

You can run pan okay, so you clearly already have all
the required libraries installed -- those are the big
bulky packages which take time to download.

It should be painless to get the rest of the way there,
so bite the bullet :o)